The gift of Sleep

I mentioned in my first post that I would share the story of the journey to arriving at the wonderful place where my daughter is able to go to sleep without someone rubbing her back, serenading her with songs or bribing her with chocolate. This has been a long journey, as I'm sure it has been for many parents out there!

Our's dates back to July 2012!! My daughter was born a wonderful night sleeper - from about 6 weeks old she slept through the night, 7pm - 7am(don't hate me yet)! It was a joy, bedtime was a wonderful time where we read stories, had a small cuddle and off she went to dream land! However, quite quickly that beautiful scene changed, Kezzia soon realised she could climb out of her cot and if she wasn't up for doing that, she worked knout if she screamed loud enough Mum or Dad would arrive to soothe her... Being aware of where this would lead us Josh and I decided it was time to step in with some control crying.

Night 1: Kezzia was no happy lady! Josh's parents were staying with us at the time and Kezzia was on top form. Man, does that girl has a good set of lungs! After what seemed like an age of allowing her to cry for a set time before going in calming and lying her back down, before beginning again, Josh's Mum decided to go into the room. Kezzia was not even aware they had arrived, as they came after bedtime had begun and to save getting her excited we decided to wait until morning! The result was a now tired, frustrated and excited toddler, a very cross Mummy and Josh stuck somewhere in the middle. After regaining my composure and going in to calm Kezzia once again, I saw what I thought was a flash light shining through the window... Being a bit of a "wuss", I sent Josh to investigate....Have you guessed? I was in total shock!!! Our neighbours had called the police, saying they were concerned we had abandoned the baby... So at about midnight in our pj's with my in-laws lying on the sofa bed, the police came in to see Kezzia... This obviously lead to great excitement on Kezzia's part! First Granny, now a police woman, Kezzia was having the best night ever!

The embarrassment as we gave our names and informed them I was a children's worker...the police lady assured us it was quite normal for this to happen and she herself had a 2 year old, so understood our situation! Kezzia spent the rest of the night in our bed...

Fear then became a massive part in our bed time routine and hence the back rubbing and song singing began. Anything in order that Kezzia would go to sleep in silence - I couldn't cope with another police visit! 16 months on and the length of back rubbing per night had just become ridiculous! Josh and I had a lost our already few evenings together and I was beginning to lose the plot and dread bedtime... After some encouragement from a friend and the decision that things had to change we tried again! We had bath, 2 stories, lights off, 2 songs and we left the room.... Kezzia being older now meant we simply left her to it - we decided that unless there was injury or a broken bed we would not attend to her! I should warn you before you try this....it's heart-wrenching stuff, but it works!
Night 1: after 30 minutes of screaming she fell asleep on the landing floor
Night 2: after 20 minutes of screaming we found her tucked up in bed asleep
Night 3:  after only 10 minutes of screaming she was tucked up in bed asleep
Night 4: silence, sleep and 2 children in bed by 7pm!!!

Good Luck and be strong my fellow bedtime strugglers - hope is here!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021