Happy Graduation Day

Graduation Days began bright and early, as we were due to be there about 8am, actually meaning 9:30am! But just incase one had to be ready. The kids were dressed in their outfits, which stayed clean for a whole 10 minutes! Sweat, dust, sun cream, insect repelant cream and juicy mangoes- is not a reciepe for clean children! I learned to let it go....after a few days!! We often treated ourselves to a "rice-less" breakfast and a sachet of coffee! (For all you Miranda fans, we did often "sachet to the sachet") to start the day and then we waited ... ... for our lift to arrive. As the honoured guest nothing started without us being there so the pressure is off and I simply learned to enjoy the peace of waiting before the heat of the madness of the rest of the day.

We arrived at the church or Hall and so began the day. I have never before felt the need to experience the life of a celebrity walking down town trying to quietly do their shopping, but I feel this may be the only comparison to arriving at a graduation. People take your bags, people offer to carry your children, hands ready to be shaken arrive from all directions and for us there was the added, "oh your children are just like dolls", which echoed around the room. I honestly felt like I had done some massive expedition or achieved some level of excellence to be recieving such a welcome... I was just little me, from little Ireland who had never even meet these people before and yet they welcomed me as royalty. It was almost breath-taking, if you had time to take it in before having to quickly but thoroughly scan the huge hall for the 2 little white children, who by this point were enjoying the fizzy and chocolate treats which they had been offered.
 

So there I was suddenly being gowned up in order to congratulate and stand with the students as they recived their certificate for completing the course! Me... The girl who was told by her guidance counsellor at college to not bother applying for University because I wouldn't get in... The girl who went out clubbing the night before her Leaving Certifcate(A-Level) exams... Now I was a guest of honour helping to officiate the graduation of students who had achieved and dedicated more in their year of training than I ever felt I had. This was simply - madness! Yet at the same time it was complete joy, to be apart of their journey! My own graduation, which was probably a shock to me and my family, seemed to pale into insignificance to the sheer joy and priveldge these students felt it was to recieve their certificate. I should add in that moment I was a very proud daughter, my old man - a crazy man from Monasteraden, had been used to do all this, I felt blessed to have such a godly example in my family.




There is not really anyway to describe the heat of these days, days when you are concentrating on
what is happening, tring to take in every moment, preaching with an interpreter, trying to keep an eye
on your children and being challenged each time a graduate gets up to share something of their story and journey to that day. The day is a complete rollercoaster of your emotions, joy at being a part of it, anxiety that they want you to say something that will encourage them and you feel you have been more blessed and encouraged than you could ever think to return in your message, saddness at the pain some of these students have been through and awe at their heartfelt worship and desire to serve the God whom they have sacrificed much for.

Happy Graduation Day to the wonderful class of 2015: The Overcomers. I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to share it with you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021