The storm ends...

I thought I would send a little update on life with my little girl, as the last time I posted about this it was a heartbreaking read! Firstly, can I say Thank you! I was overwhelmed by the response from many of you, e-mailing, commenting, texting, sharing your stories with me and offering your words of wisdom - it was amazing. I hope for those of you still facing this battle this post offers hope and assurance of a better time...

Josh and I had tried it all, we sat down and spoke with Kezzia about how much it was hurting me to see her respond this way - we put her in time out every time she wiped off hugs or kisses, to shown her it was naughty to treat Mummy in this way... But my nothing seemed to be working! So after much thought, counsel and prayer we decided to completely ignore it - we praised her for her positive behaviour and when she give me a cuddle or kiss, we OVER emphasised how lovely it made Mummy feel. The result was that initially she was highly confused as she was used to get a reaction and suddenly there was no reaction. There were moments I had to try and prevent myself from laughing, as she would get as close to my face as she possibly could saying "Mummy Mummy I wiped off your kiss", I would respond by asking her which story we should read next, or what toy box we should get out to play with... The lack of attention drove her a little crazy and she soon realised that by hugging and playing nicely she got a lot more attention and that was worth it.

After a few days we laid off the overly enthusiastic praise for positive behaviour and noticed her behaviour did not revert back. Now we have our moments when she is angry or frustrated where she will wipe off a touch or kiss but generally life with Kezi is amazing. It has taken a massive turn and I am loving it:-)

So for those of you still facing this situation, keep hoping! I am proof that struggles don't last forever. Continue to pour out love, time and energy into your children, however they response - they do notice and regardless of their actions they need to see they are loved by us! I know it's hard I've been there but keep going. I will soon write about finding the ways our kids understand love and knowing which relates to your child. but for now, love them, love them unconditionally, regardless of their response.

Ironically, my younger son is the most clingy child I know - if I leave the room - he SCREAMS! It's safe to say by the time he's 2, I will have a cracking pair of biceps! Life is a funny thing!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021