Is it already Judgement Day?

At the family funeral I attended recently, Josh's aunt said something that has stuck with me since and has cause me to ponder many things. She said in relation to the death, through suicide of her husband: "we can choose to remember him by the circumstances around his death, this way allowing bitterness and anger to take root, or we can choose to remember the man we knew for the 60+ years before this! creating a memory of joy filled moments." Part of why that amazes me is because of the strength it must have taken to read that sentence in light of the circumstances but since it has made me think so much about how quickly we judge people and situations...

Let me add a moment of light-heartedness to this post. A few weeks ago, it was my lovely friend's birthday, to help Josh and I offered to take her two boys out for a walk while her and her hubby organised the house. Now allow your imagination to wander as you see a young-ish couple walking toward you with what you may assume to be, 3 year old twins, an 18 month old and a 9 month old... Over excited couple!!! We had a very fun little walk but if I had got a pound for ever "odd" look we got, every double take people did as we walked past, I would have enjoyed a rather expensive bottle of bubbly that night! It was insane - these people within seconds had made the assumption that Josh and I were either so mad or so in love that in the space of 4 years we had produced 4 children - have these people never been preganacy or gone through labour!! It did make me chuckle but also brought me back to this topic of judgement...

Why are we so quick to judge? What has society done to us that makes us think we have the right, the authority, the ability to judge others, or change our judgement over people after one simple mistake or miscommunication? I fear it is something that is now almost inbuilt within us - something which we need to consciously fight against and train our minds to NOT do.

Prehaps this is just my own little issue, please hear me - I do it to and am often reminding myself that I am in no authority to judge anyone - so here is my current decision to fight back. I am going to take part in the famous act of "pay it forward"... Through each month I am going to endeavour to pick 3 people who I can randomly show kindness to be this a sandwich for a homeless guy in town or flowers for a friend. my hope and prayer is that they will "pay it forward" to 3 more people..

Join me readers? Let's swap our judgement for random waves and smiles at strangers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

#joy2021