Mum's the Word!

Well, the day most mums long for all year has arrived! A hoped day of rest and relaxation, a day where your kids, your husband, boyfriend, anyone would take on the chores you the other 364 days of the year are expected to do. I remember Mother's Day as the day I went into labour 3 years ago, with my daughter, though she didn't arrive for a further 2 days! I will share the story closer to her birthday.

For many however, today is not a happy day, it is a reminder that they are not yet mother's to their own children or those who are suffering with the news that they might never be able to carry and deliever their own child. So I do not want to spend this blog relishing in my own motherhood, I do that enough in this blog, but rather to thank and share with you my admiration for my own Mum.

My mum is truly amazing, at the ages of fifty....something (i won't give to much away), she is just about to complete a degree in Theology and take on a new role as a Church of Ireland Minister -I totally admire my Mum's determination and persistence to follow the calling she knows is on her life. My mum has always been an incredibly self-sacrificing woman, and there was never any doubt that she sacrificed much for the sake of her children.

As a family, we may never have had the latest fashions, but mum worked hard to ensure we had all we need, the fridge-freezer full of fish bites(Ireland's answer to fish fingers)proved that, she would work anywhere to provide for us! We had the most amazing birthday cakes EVER and it has definitely inspired me as I make birthday cakes for my own children. 

I cannot really give enough credit to my mum. I was indeed the black sheep of the family, going a little wild in my teens. My mum patiently stood by, listening to my "adventures" offered helpful advice, even knowing I would still often do my own thing. As I "borrowed" her boots for nights out hid cigarettes around my room and arrived home from nights out as she was getting up, never once did she lose the plot but waitied patiently, praying lots i'm sure...How did I repay her, I rung her up and told her I had gotten my boyfriends name tattooed on my bum!! I think that was a step to far!! (I didn't do that by the way, I got a bird on my back!) 

With her patience, advice and support I found my way back and here I am, following in her footsteps of serving in the church. I love my mum beyond what I could say in these few words, she is an incredibly Mum, pastor, cook, Nanna to my gorgeous children and nephew, and an inspiration to many.


So today, I hope that my Mum knows how loved she is. I'm gutted I'm not at home to take her out to lunch, but know she is being treated to lunch by others.

I don't know your situation, whether today is a day of joy or pain, celebration or suffering, but I know you have the ability to make one woman smile. Whether it's your Mum, a woman who has impacted your life in some way, a sister or grandmother - take the time today to let her know. She deserves it! 

Comments

  1. Thanks Kathryn, she is a wonderful wife too! Love dad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021