Bottle VS Breast

Seeing as once again the subject, perhaps better termed, debate of breast feeding and bottle feeding is back in the news, I thought I would share my story. Growing up many of us ladies are painted this beautiful picture of breastfeeding, the most natural of all things. Babies are born and handed to the "glowing" mum and effortlessly begin feeding.

Unfortunately for many of us this is not the reality of the situation. I had always imgined I would breast feed, I think most of us do. However during my preganacy on a routine visit to the doctor, she explained I had quite a severe pro-lactine deficiency. For those of you who don't know, pro-lactine is the hormone which instructions your body to produce breast milk. I was lacking, quite dramatically lacking in this. The doctor told me I needed to preapre myself for the possibility of not being able to breastfeed my child. You would think I would of preapred myself by getting some bottles, formula or at least researching what I could use instead... but I continued to live in my fairy tale - breastfeeding was completely natural, right? Surely I would be able to feed my own baby.

However, soon after Kezzia arrived I hit a reality check! As much as I tried to get her to feed, and as much as she tried, little happened. After 4 days of a screaming and hungry baby, a sobbing mother and a stressing father, with some advice and support from family I gave in and purcahsed some bottles and formula. For the first in the 4 days since her arrival, Kezzia was not hungry! I on the other hand felt like a complete and utter failure as a mum. Despite much support and encouragment from my family, I was upset with myself. How could I not provide the most natural thing for my baby? What did't help was on one visit from my midwife, about 6 days after Kezzia's arrival I was questioned about how feeding was going. I explained what was going on and the midwife picked up her pen and wrote and said "artifically feeding baby from only 4 days". Everything within me wanted to kick the midwife out of my home and burst into tears - she had no idea how much her words cut deep into my heart, and I am sure she did not mean to upset me. However, I once again felt like I was failing my daughter. When Kezzia was only 6 weeks old, I plucked up enouogh courage to attend an early parenting group and here I met a bunch of crazy women (sorry ladies), who along with continual support from family and other close friends, I began to dismantle the failure label I had stuck upon myself.

I learned how to enjoy the fact that Kezzia was being bottle-fed. I loved watching Josh feed her, having the freedom of being allowed to nap in the day because family were over and they could feed her. It is expensive and I still wish I had been able to feed her but I found enjoyment from our situation.

Levi was a lazy baby, it took Levi up to 4 hours at a time to feed, for those of you experts its called cluster feeding. I was shattered, I had no energy to spend on my daughter and was not feeling like I was bonding with my son at all. So again after a week and a painful disucssion with Josh we decided to bottle-feed again. Though this time I was confident in my decision, I knew despite some negative comments and potential evil looks as I got bottles ready, for me, for us as a family unit - it worked.

Let me finish by saying, I am completly pro breastfeeding. If I have another baby I will try again, and I hope and pray that both milk and baby will coincide and I will be able to feed them. I have learnt, however, that the perfect picture of breastfeeding is not often the reality. To you who breastfeed, well done - I love and admire your dedication and ability, but don't look down on us bottle feeding mums, many of us have ard story behind our decison. And to you fellow bottle feeding mum's, don't be to hard on yourself not everyone is against you. Be confident that you made a decision that was best for YOUR family.

And mum's whatever your take on this subject, let us not allow it to become a dispute between us. Being a mum is the most difficult job created and we need each other's support!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021