Humility

It has been so long since I have written and I do apologise, life has thrown some curve balls our way over these past two weeks, which have resulted in spending today driving to Manchester for a family funeral. I will fill you in soon, I promise, once I come back to facing reality but in other news I have been battling with the subject of humility and here is where I'm at.

I have recently been continuing my learning in the art of humility, something I fear I still have much learning to do. I do not feel like I am a particular boastful person, but I have been realizing I do hold pride in the appearance of not myself but my house...

I have mentioned before I am a host and that I love to host,  however alongside this runs my desire to have a "host standard" house. This is very often un-obtainable in my house, 2 kids and an overly busy husband means I have little chance to clean! Over the last few weeks I have been knocked down a peg or two, and perhaps it is actually a good thing.

Over Easter weekend, my in-laws came down for the day on Sunday, despite my best efforts to sort out the house on Saturday, in my eye I had not succeeded, the kitchen was.....hideous! Therefore, on arrival of my in-laws I suggested they sit in the lounge while I sort out lunch. Now you may think, how kind... The reality I was highly embarrassed by the state of my kitchen. I then heard what to many would seem like dream words, my father in law was offering to help with anything, I quickly said "no no, don't worry", however being a generous man he came into the kitchen and upon seeing the ... Sight ... Swiftly began washing the dishes! Now before I sound like an ungrateful snob... Let me add, I was hugely grateful for his actions but more than that, I was embarrassed! What a unsuccessful host, the guest does the washing up! Humbled!

A few days later my husband found himself quite ill during the night and finally with much persausion gave in and rung the out of hours doctor. Now it was my nagging, whoever said that doesn't work, that encouraged him to ring the doctor and then it hit me : the doctor may actually come to my house! This may seem a silly concern but the floor of both my lounge and bedroom had been missing for some time... I was highly embarrassed at the thought of him coming over and witnessing such a mess! No-one Josh has a tummy bug, living in this mess - now Josh ended up having to go to hospital so I did not have to live out that situation. Again, however I was very humbled at the thought - why do I feel the need to have it all together! Am I that worried about people judging me, due to the tidiness of my house - do I think people that shallow!

I am learning that the cleanliness of my house is not really worth the stress and embarrassment I allow it to hold on me, this for me is a hard lesson but I am eager to learn! I am trying to not let it get to me and I'm sure I am not the only one learning this lesson... If you are enduring this lesson as well try for today to simply enjoy life and not worry about your house, it's tidiness or lack of, and like I have found you may find you enjoy the day so much more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021