Hobby.... what's that?

I was asked a question quite a number of weeks ago that has since been playing on my mind, a simple and straight forward question for many but the for me... Readers, the reality was I wasn't really sure there was an answer...

Prepare yourselves for this deep and life altering question....

"So Kat, what are your hobbies?" I told you deep!! A simple question but it left me lost for words... I know that is a rare occasion and it had not occurred to me it could be brought on by something that should be so simple?... However as I tried to form some answer to my friend who had asked, my initial response was something along the lines of "well I have 3 kids so there's not really much time for hobbies"... a sad reality that has become my normal. I fear to say that for many of us busy mum's it has become our normal! Our life, and rightly so is filled up with precious moments with young children (and a few we would regard as a little less precious), but have we allowed it too become so filled up that time for ourselves has quickly faded into the background and perhaps into non-existence...

Dear Readers, I hope I am not alone in this situation - I love my children beyond words and I am not wishing to have less time with them, but I find my time without them consists mainly of cleaning up, working on the computer and when I'm too tired catching up with a few episodes of Masterchef on TV! Does anyone echo my situation? Should we busy mums not have hobbies too? Have pastimes and activities that we do simple because we enjoy it?

My wonderful husband brought me a sewing machine for my birthday last year and I had great plans of creating amazing garments, household bits and even a gift or two, but the reality is it mainly gathers dust until there is a hole in Kezzia's dress or Levi's trousers, when it makes a brief outing. Nothing creative that I just decided to make has come from that wonderful gift...

Books sat unread on my bookshelf because by the time I get into bed in the evening, knowing my lovely son will wake me up for his midnight bottle soon, I do little else then collapse on the pillow and sleep (or convince my brain to let me sleep)!

I do run at least once a week but I do not consider that a hobby more of a necessity in order that I can enjoy cake and chocolate!! It is a time to get out of the house and clear one's head and that is a vital part of this parenting journey, but it is not something I would consider a joyous part of my life...

And so Dear Readers, I pose this challenged to those of you who read this and see yourselves in this journey... To begin a small journey of self-discovery or perhaps re-discovery it would be better titled. What are your hobbies, what are my hobbies? What makes you tick, what excites you? My quest is to find them and engage with them.

Readers do join me?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021