Halloween Nightmares!

Well readers, we have recently been "enduring" the Halloween season - my least favourite time of year. A holiday which has gone from nothing to something which takes over the seasonal aisle of our supermarkets, the content of our cinemas and tv and now even the clothes decorating our shop front displays.

I fail to see why so many parents seek to endorse the holiday and encourage their children to participate in it. Obviously as a Christian I disagree with celebrating all that is dark and evil and do not think it is just a silly thing for us to engage with - rather it is an incredibly dangerous season and something worth taking seriously! Whilst I don't believe in the presence of zombies or vampires, I think all that's is represented by Halloween, evil spirits, magic, spells is unfortunately a very real subject and powerful and not even worth joking about. I know and have witnessed in the lives of people the very destruction that can be caused by dabbling in such "jokes or fun" as our advertisers like to convince us, and I can honestly say it is not worth the money we are enticed to spend on it.

However as many of my posts come from the position of my role as Mummy, I want to appeal to your parental side. Halloween is a time in which we witness and allow our shops to become full of scary masks, gruesome figures, blood, guts and the like. In essence it is what our children's nightmares are full of - yet for one month we encourage them to dress up in such gruesome outfits, to wander around knocking on the doors of our neighbours asking for treats, trusting no one will actually present a trick! In my mind it makes no sense. I do not want to encourage my children to fill their minds and imagination with such things that may keep them awake at night, nor do I want them to take lightly the impact such things can have on their play, thought life and spirituality. You may think I am being over the top, but my children are too precious to me, to spend time filling their minds with such scary and gruesome images.

Every year instead of celebrating all that is portrayed in our shops, we have a celebrate your hero day! We dress up, we play silly games and have a wonderful day that I know sends my children to bed with a memory bank full of laughs, giggles and thoughts which, without sounding too cheesy, create dreams worth sleeping for!

I know many will consider this slightly over the top, but I ask you dear readers, especially parents to consider the question: "what are we filling our children's imagination with, and is it the topics we want their dreams to be filled with?"

Happy Pondering & speak soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021