Levi's Birth Story

As far as I knew it was a normal Friday evening, I had most of the day off pottering around with Kezzi before heading to work for our weekly Children's Club about 5pm. It was to be my last one before maternity leave began the following Wednesday so we made sure it was fun. The evening was spent making many jokes at the size of my ever growing belly, other leaders preparing to catch the baby as he "popped" out during a game of musical statues... It was all highly commical and a great last evening. It ended with 2 conversations which to this day make me giggle, the first was between me and two good friends, Ben and Jill, two friends who often following club offer me a lift home... However due to the possibility of my waters exploding over their car it was suggested, in much humour I hasten to add, that I look for a lift elsewhere. So I did I decided for once to leave Josh to walk home after youth group and I take the car, the second conversation comes now - Jill commented on what woud happened should I go into labour and Josh be left with no car... My response thinking this would be highly unlikely was "he would have to run....fast!"I know the pregnancy hormones had turned me into an incredibly caring wife!!

So off went in my car, home to put my feet up, well sit on my pregnancy ball with a box of chocolates anyway! After about 10 minutes the urge to pee came over in only the way pregnancy brings. I stood and what I thought was the embarrassing moment of a grown woman just peeing in her pants.... Turned out to be my waters breaking! I went into a bit of panic mode, with Kezzia my waters were broken so this was all new! I rang Josh and told him "he would have to run.....fast! He was about to meet his son". I tried to get back to watching TV but the adrenaline had already kicked in. I was on the phone to my sister getting her to swing by and pick up Kezzia just in case we dashed off to hospital, rung my parents and brother to let them know, the baby is coming! I couldn't resist texting friends from the Children's Club with the irony of the whole evening... all our jokes had become a reality. I was in labour.

Josh arrived home to a still adrenaline hit wife, but one who was facing no contractions, no pains and
despite the constant trickle of water, meaning I was going through 3 pairs of trousers in the space of about 2 hours, you wouldn't actually of guessed I was in labour. After a catch up for Josh on my evening and feeling a bit miffed nothing was happening I sat down to watch TV and Josh attempted to sleep on the sofa. The humour of it all continued as the moment Josh closed his eyes to sleep, contractions came and came fast and strong, within a couple of hours we were headed to hospital and my emotions were flying high and my body was not far behind!

We got to the hospital and done the normal descriptions of the evenings events and as requested the pool was ready and in I jumped. I should point out, I am totally a bath person, if I need to rest and relax I jump in the bath. So what better time, than labour - and it's amazing! If you've never had a baby and want to, have a water birth.... They are amazing! Anyway, time quickly ticked on and within 2 hours of leaving for the hospital, this baby was ready to come out ... Those dreaded words
"push" were spoken and this baby was in no mood to hang around. However his heart rate was dropping and so I knew I couldn't take long, this baby was coming out and soon. After what only seemed like minutes the head was out and I was being told to stop pushing!! STOP! For those of you yet to experience this, labour is a little like Pringles, once you pop you can't stop!! It is agony to stop, painful to stop but with every ounce of mind and body I tried to resist my screaming need to push. Moments later I was told again to push, little did I know my baby had decided to wrap the umbilical cord around his neck, not once, not twice, but three times - hence the slowing heart rate! Once it was released  he was fine, I could push and with one final contraction he was out.



My tiny, 6lb, little man was out and gorgeous, Levi Richard Hardingham hazard arrived at 2:59am! My miracle boy was alive, well and in my arms. I kissed my precious gift from God and savoured each moment as he unwriggled his body, stretched out and probably felt the freedom of not choking himself! Josh got a kiss to, from us both - as always he had been amazing and the best birth partner I could have asked for! Ladies, husbands get better the more labours you have!

I should admit, I love labour! I know that it is painful, undignified, messy and odd but I love it! Mainly because I know that at the end I will get to hold my precious children. Today I am unspeakably thankful to have my little man safe, well and enjoying all he has learnt over this past year.

I am incredibly excited to start the next one.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021