Happy Mother's Day ... too late?

Evening Readers, I do hope this finds you well and relishing in your current friendships. I feel this blog should really have been posted a few weeks ago but, as a Mum of 3 children, wife to 1 husband, and transitioning between jobs, time seems to have run away...

Some time around Mothers Day, when my house was generously passing around a violent tummy bug from one person to the next, I had a conversation with my daughter that led me to this post! We were discussing the answer to the following question:

"Who really is the BEST Mummy in the World?" 

She very kindly answered me, as all our children do ... at least for the first hour of Mother's Day! I suggested that actually my Mummy was the correct answer. Kezzia was not so sure, "my Mummy, her Nanna was the best Nanna" but she was convinced that she did have the best Mummy (just so you know I don't have it all together, my eldest son reminded me multiply times later that I was actually the "meanest Mummy in the entire world, he had ever met". However, I answered my daughter's question with a simple phrase "well, who taught me how to be a Mummy?"... suddenly our answers were the same - "Nanna"! Yeah, my Mummy! It hit me afresh in that moment, that I am teaching my daughter many things, but one is "how to be a Mummy", as I was taught by my own. How will she love, respond, care, solve conflict, impart values and morals into her children ... by watching me!

The story of our own mothers, varies so much and dear readers my heart breaks for you if you have been set a "not-to-follow" example by your own mother. I have learnt more as I grow up the sheer privilege it is to have a Mum who taught me a "how-to-do-it" example. Who modelled an amazing example of what it meant to be "Mum". I am truly thankful for that and ever challenged at the example I am setting for my own daughter.

So here are a few things that my Mum taught me and I hope I am passing on to my own daughter (and sons):


1. She taught me how to love others
If you have spent any time with my Mum, you will know she has an amazing heart for people. She is never to busy to sit with someone, hear their story, pay them a visit and simply love them. As I look back on her acts of generosity, kindness, care for people in our community as children and now in the lives of her friends and parish, it is too numerous too share with you. Though I know my heart is not so big and full of love, she had taught me so much about the importance of loving those around us and I hope to that my children grow up with that same heart of love.

2. She taught me I was loved ... all the time
Growing up, (I know you'll find this hard to believe), but I was not the "sensible and together lady I am now". I often deemed myself, backed up by my siblings as the wild one in the family... black sheep is a strong term but with my siblings beautifully white it wasn't hard to look black!! Anyway despite all my moments of madness, I knew I was loved and in the moments I doubted it, my Mum was never long in reminding me that my doubts held no truth and I was loved, incredibly so by her, by Dad and by God. I so often pray that my children know this, that even in their moments of wildness, as young children and as teenagers, to know they are loved! As a Mum, training another Mum (and 2 dads), I hope they see that is an example worth following.

3. She taught me to understand my gifts, my calling and pursue it, regardless of what others said I could and couldn't do.
I must confess, school was not my strong point and I had many conversations with teachers, reminding me that I would not come to much, I talked too much and was quite lazy... (I know you never saw that coming right?). However, I watched as my Mum, regardless of age, career choice, people opinions, financial gain (or lack of) pursued the calling God had placed on her life for each season and embedded in my life is the same determination: to go where I was/am being called to go, regardless of voices around me seeking to give their own opinion. It was not a feminist movement or seeking equal rights, it was a quiet simple knowing who she was and following that.  

4. She taught me how to make great food! 
She also taught me to have fun!!
On a lighter but equally important note (as we've just celebrated Kezzia's 7th birthday), she involved me in her everyday. I sat and watched her bake, decorate wedding cakes, Christmas cakes, make Yorkshire puddings - FROM STRACH - and I was allowed to be involved. There is nothing more special then teaching our children the everyday routines of life by allowing them to be involved in our mundane, necessary everyday jobs. I am so thankful I left home knowing how to cook, clean, use the washing machine ... simple things but something not easy for every teenager leaving home!

So Mummy's, though Mother's Day is long past for this year and we may not get our children's approval as much as we did on that day, be challenged, be encouraged. You are raising some future Mum's and Dad's - their first example of parenting comes from you... make it a good one!

To my own, Mum, I love you and continue to think you are THE most incredible Woman I know. Thanks for teaching my how to be a great Mum to my children and for continuing to be a wonderful Nanna!

Comments

  1. AMAZING read! Thanks for sharing! I had no Idea the blogs I’ve been reading were yours till after you left Sunday! Great to meet you!
    You’re doing an amazing job with 3 kids!!!

    Cheryl x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021