A goal achieved

Well, once again I fear it has been much to long since I was able to sit and write dear readers! I now sit with so much to write that my mind can't compute it all into one post (the fact that you still take time to read these continues to baffle me and I continue to stand humbled and grateful for your interest!)

My mind is wandering currently with posts on my 3rd child's first birthday, which we have just celebrated; mornings with my eldest child who despite my previous posts has suddenly entered a new phase of attitude I was not prepared for, for about another 5 years; the craziness of Christmas that has raised its festive head already and the still slightly mangled up toe that resulted from my half marathon (yes pick your jaw up I actually did it!)... so perhaps we will start there:


I DID IT! Despite all my lack of belief in myself and my mental capabilities I ran a half marathon in the middle of November and I finished within the time I had hoped! I know it was only a half marathon but for me that was a huge success and now seems slightly surreal (despite the toe!) I cannot say I enjoyed the race, nor did I rush back to my runners once it was completed but it is done!

It was as I knew it would be readers, a huge test of my mental ability to just keep going - to peruse a dream that I had. A strange dream, maybe goal would be a better word to use here! For so long, I was pregnant or giving birth, or just given birth, or trying to conceive that "me" had become a little lost (I've told you this before) and running started as a way to get back 'me time'. Then it became a challenge to push myself to achieve something I had previously claimed to hard for me to achieve! It then became a goal, to run a half marathon in under 2hours 40mins... a goal on some of my training runs I doubted possible! As I scrolled through Strava some mornings admiring the training of those I follow doing marathons or just morning jogs that were quicker and longer than mine the goal often drifted further away... ah the joys of comparison, such a killer!

But with the "encouragement" of the hubby, I was booked in to race and there was no going back - I also knew I had to complete the race in my desired time else Kezzia would be late for a close friends birthday party and that in her world was NOT an option! So we arrived at the track and I set off...

I must admit the first lap was lovely, the scenery, the view, the company...
The second lap was comfortable, I had good rhythm, knew the course, didn't yet need the toilet...
The third lap was painful, crossing over the distance I had run in my longest training lap, and the mangled toe situation began to creep in
The four lap...well that was a blur of pain, sweat, needing the loo and "Why did I do this" questions and a finish line that seemed to get further rather than nearer...

And then it was over... my 2 older beautiful children, ran towards me as they saw me coming and together all 3 of us crossed the finishing line. I collected the obligatory medal and bottle of water and the proceeded to collapse in a heap on the sodden grass! "It was finished!"

I had achieved my goal, on reflection I learned many things from that run mainly to keep going - even in the midst of pain and mangled toes you have just got to run! That is a lesson for life not just for my run! Life is tough and something we would love to just collapse in a heap and watch everyone else run by ... but we are called to run, walk, crawl even, along the race of life! Not competing to be the best, or run the fastest but to see the journey! For me ... I run to see and experience all God has set out in my 'race track'. Each new bend that can bring something to see, to enjoy, to learn from, to trudge through, to delight in, to adventure in!

Secondly, it's good to have a goal - I was really struck by how motivated I was to run when I had a goal, a dream in mind. I can't say that my next goal is a full on 26.2 mile marathon (much to the upset of my older son, Levi!) ... but I'm setting myself a new goal, a new challenge!

Have you got a goal, a dream, dear reader? Was it something you let go of years ago, or when life got to busy? Can I challenge you to find it, grasp it, or birth a new one?

Challenge yourself - I have found there ain't nothing like achieving your goal and growing yourself along the way!

Happy Running ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021