Challenge Accepted.

I sit here with slightly tired legs and very wet hair... running in Hurricane Gert proved to be very fun but a very wet experience! Though I must say if you have to run...run in the rain (to any who passed me today, I apologise for my untuneful and panting singing)!

Some of you may know I have given myself to preparing to run a half-marathon in 16 weeks - 15 left to go! It is a completely random task - as I have yet to find an official race at the end of my training, Readers I am beginning to think I may just make up my own!

Why... that is an extremely good question, as you will also know that running is not my favourite weekly task! Well, the honest truth is I have discovered a rather horrible truth about myself recently and it's one I feel I need to put right!

I am a cheat! Readers, bear with me on this one...

If I can, I will cut a corner - we all do: example: most of us only hoover the parts of the lounge people will see, who really needs to move the sofa right? That's the easy example, but for me I have discovered it goes much deeper...

I have recently, and by recently I mean within the past year, painted both bathrooms in my house and my bedroom! All have faults and imperfections because I tried to cut corners - I tried to cheat!

I more recently, last week, made my daughter a dress which is wearable but not well designed -  I cut corners, I didn't measure the dress, I guessed. I didn't attempt to sew it carefully and neatly I just flew through... thankfully being 6 she thinks it is amazing (and the reality is Readers, on that account I'm glad I cut corners - because the first day she wore it we had Spaghetti Bolognaise and now the dress is stained!! #motherhood)

These may sounds simple things, but what if my cutting corners gets deeper - what if it effects my parenting, what if it grows to effect my relationship with my husband, with God? What if it has repercussions on the ministries I'm involved with, or on our family finances? I am aware this is filled with the "what if's", and we are called to never dwell on these too long. But it caused me to question something in myself... why?


Why am I inclined to cut corners, to cheat if I may speak to brashly about the situation?

And so here I am, with slightly achy legs, giving myself a challenge. To train for a 13 mile run, with no hyped up race at the end (not that they are bad - I may do that in time!), teaching myself a valuable lesson - it's time to quite cutting corners!

I am following my training plan, even though after just one week I desperately want to skip ahead and cheat... but I didn't! Today I ran my 2.5 miles because that's what I had to do! My hope is that this training will not only train my body but also challenge me in other area's of life, marriage, parenthood, ministry and faith (and on the plus side shed those few post baby pounds that are stubbornly residing on my hips!).

I will probably never hoover under the sofa every week... but I hope that in the more important things in life (I clearly don't see hygiene as high up that list!!!) this training and lesson will take effect!

I hope my challenge challenges you in some small way to dear Readers...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ar aris go hEireann!

Is it already Judgement Day?

#joy2021